Transition…the most import part of the half pipe. The transition is the curved section of the ramp that goes from the flat bottom to the deck. Getting this right is crucial because a transition that is too steep or to mellow will not be fun to skate and your half pipe will turn into a giant lawn ornament. There is no equation for the perfect transition radius, the best thing to do is to draw out several different radii in full scale and select which one looks best to you. You could even draw and cut a few out on some cardboard and compare it to some local ramps or bowls in your area. I used computer software to design mine, but I’m still going to draw it out and think about it long and hard before I cut it out. Currently it’s a 7 foot radius. The radius should always be bigger than the height of the half pipe and the larger it gets the mellower it will be.

Comments

Joffrey
02/07/2013 2:56pm

I'm also thinking of building a 5ft ramp in my garden. If I would use a 8ft flat, a radius of 8ft should I be able to get away with 6 sheets of ply for 1 layer? I'm struggling to calculate the length of the arc of a 5ft ramp. What is the length I would need to cover coping to coping using the above measurements? Nice blog btw :) Cheers

B-Clark
02/07/2013 4:31pm

Hey, thanks for the comment. With those measurements your arc length would be just under 9ft-6in, so 6 sheets wouldn't make it coping to coping. You would have to get a seventh sheet to fill the gaps. You can calculate the arc length with the following formula.

Arc Length = Central Angle/360 x (2 x 3.14 x radius)

So for your ramp it would look like this:

= 67.8/360 x (2 x 3.14 x 8)

= 0.1883 x 50.24

= 9.46

If you need help finding the Central Angle, just let me know.

Joffrey
02/10/2013 7:32am

Thanks.

That was my struggle (still is) how to find that central angle. I knew I needed that but its been a long long time with the maths :) (20+ years)

25+ last time I skated hehe

B-Clark
02/12/2013 12:20pm

I've had a couple other people ask this question so I'm going to make a post about it. Check back soon.

Your never to old to skate.

Joffrey
02/23/2013 7:43am

Do you think I can get away with 10ft width with only 2 sides or is 8ft the max?

brandon clark
02/25/2013 8:57am

I would not go bigger than 6' wide without having some middle support.